Skip to main content

Book Review: Real Digital Forensics

In continuing my tradition of reviewing books that are 2 or 3 years old, I have recently finished reading Real Digital Forensics by Keith Jones, Richard Bejtlich, and Curtis Rose. Yeah, I hate paying full price for a new book, but mostly its because I buy so many books that by the time I get around to actually reading them, its been a few years Laughing. Now on to the review.

With this group of experienced authors, it hard to imagine the book not being a success. While not spectacular, this books is very solid and fairly easy to read. I would have to say for someone looking to attend the SANS hacking and forensic courses, this book could easily fill the gap and save you thousands of dollars. One thing I really liked was that they did not waste time on any fluff chapters about the history of whatever, they just jumped right into the material. They also made it a point to show the differences between incident response on *nix vs. windows. All the chapters that focused on analysis and response were dead on. They included great case data on the book DVD, which helps you work through the sample cases as well. That is a huge feature that needs to become standard in security books, where feasible. Probably the standout feature of the book for me though, was their chapters on analyzing unknown binaries. By following along step by step through the cases, its helps turn something that is considered more of an art, into a science. They also include good coverage of doing a forensic analysis of a palm device, and included the requisite chapters on email investigation, registry analysis, and browser forensics. One thing that I took note of during the book, was the chapter on building a response toolkit. They pointed out that you need to use filemon to ensure none of your trusted tools access the victims system for resources and instead are using libraries from your toolset. The authors also did a good job of showing both open source and commerical tools throughout the book.

Some of things I didn't enjoy about the book, was the coverage on duplication. But I guess you can't really do much with a topic that boring. Also, the chapter on domain onwership seemed more like a chapter on their DNS project, so it wasn't very useful. Other then that, I would have like to have seen some coverage on cell phone forensics, which is becoming more mainstream.

Overall though this was a great book that I would recommend to anyone in the security field and also system administrators. The authors knowledge of this subject is top notch and its good to be able glean information from them. Not to mention, you can gain a lot of practical experience by working through the example cases on the DVD. You can read my notes on the book here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2020 SANS CTI Summit Notes

Unfortunately due to some back surgery I was not able to attend the SANS CTI summit this year, however I always try to take advantage of the great content SANS makes available. To help me out in synthesizing the information, I combined the context provided by those that were live tweeting which is useful when reviewing the slide decks. Hope you find this useful and well done @rickholland , @PDXbek , and @likethecoins , another great year of great content! Day 1 Secret Squirrels and Flashlights: Legal Risks and Threat Intelligence https://www.sans.org/cyber-security-summit/archives/file/summit-archive-1579535253.pdf @CristinGoodwin Assistant General Counsel for Customer Security and Trust, Microsoft Boundaries and strategies to help analysts identify and manage legal risks while hunting, investigating, and responding "Have a principled approach to sharing, so when the crisis comes you don’t have to panic.” "What we call common in #threatinel sharing is what a l

FIRST Conference 2018 - Review (Kuala Lumpur Edition)

As apart of my new job, my employer is seeking to gain FIRST membership later this year. To support that goal, I was asked to attend the 30th FIRST Conference in Kuala Lumpur. For the travel weary, this is not a trip to take lightly. For me it was 3 flights and 28 hours total of travel just to arrive. I do have to say, the conference venue, the Shangri-La hotel is absolutely fabulous. Very nice, clean, and ultra courteous staff. The swag bag I was given at registration was also very nice, including 3 shirts, challenge coin, notebook, mini first aid kit, and a pretty decent backpack. I also have to say the lunch options for the conference are vastly superior to anything I have ever experienced. SANS and Blackhat could learn a few things. For a 5 day conference, you get a much greater value here. If you are interested in jumping straight the slides you can visit here . Opening The conference was kicked off on Day 1 by Thomas Schreck (@shrekts) who gave out some

SANS Cyber Threat Intelligence Summit 2013

     I recently attended the first SANS CTI Summit in Washington DC. While there was plenty of brain power in the room, and good discussions were to be had, overall it was just ok. There was a big focus on what CTI is and why you should be doing it, or at least consuming it. There wasn't enough discussion, aside from one talk, on how you should be doing it. It basically reinforced my beliefs that this is still very much a small, closed off club of insiders, where nobody is sharing tradecraft. I love that SANS is getting involved in this space though, and it sounds like Mike Cloppert will be writing a SANS course on Threat Intelligence in the future. I would very much be interested in that and I expect it would sell out quickly.      Mike Cloppert opened the day by discussing the old vulnerability centric approach focused on reducing attack surface as opposed to the new threat centric model focused on reducing the risk of the actual threats affecting your company. The key focus of